I checked my facebook again and my friend William, who is going through his own struggles right now, posted this in reply to my status:
"In order for change to happen, effort must be made; change doesn't happen on its own. That journey isn't one big change, but a series of many, many small ones. Small shifts every day - even just taking 5 minutes for a walk, counting blessings, making a different choice at the store, anything - just doing something specifically to make a better, healthier (mental and/or physical) you every day if possible (don't sweat missing a day - just the next day, do) will get you to the end result you are after. The destination you desire is then one step closer every day. And though life throws us curve balls, and perceptions, wants, needs, and desires may be different than you envisioned when you set out, changing your destination; but in the end, regardless, you -will- be happier, healthier, and stronger." (Sorry about the weird font, I copied and pasted it directly from facebook.)
I very much believe this is true. It's part of why I am blogging. I want to remember the journey. I can not wake up and decide, "Today I will be at my goal weight, my goal body fay percentage, and then go run that half marathon." That's not how it happens. I worked quite hard to be unhealthy, out of shape, and in need of a tune up in most areas of life (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual...) I mean really, I put a lot of effort into ignoring what was happening to myself. It is going to take work and effort, changes and choices sometimes minute to minute to alter the course my life has been on. I'm just glad I have started.
Today's OTHER goal: get a jump rope and incorporate into my workouts.
I also realized I have not posted my goals on here for the year. I think I should. I read them every Monday, just to make sure I am keeping them in mind, but knowing that others know is helpful. So...here they are:
*I will be a fit person by Dec. 31, 2012. The specifics of this include, but are not limited to:
- Training for and running a half marathon in June with my Dad and anyone else who wants to join us
- Climbing another four peaks this summer and making sure three of the four are over 9,000 ft in elevation
- Running another half marathon during the months of Oct or Nov, just to keep the momentum going.
- Maintain a daily log of what I eat until my weight hits 160, then if it starts to creep up again, start to log what I am eating again as needed.
- Monitor my weight, body fat and muscle mass percentage by checking them every Monday (daily weigh ins get me down and make me frustrated, so once a week it is.)
- Exercise a minimum of 30 min 4x a week, remembering that putting it off til the end of the week DOES NOT WORK!
- Incorporate weight training 3x a week in addition to cardio. Remember STRONG IS THE GOAL!!!! BEING THIN IS AN ADDED BONUS!
- Obtain a bike by June 1. Ride it to work, the grocery store, wherever possible whenever possible.
- Reach a body fat percentage of 22-25% by Dec. 31, 2012
- Be able to do a 5 min plank by Dec 31, 2012
- Be able to do 10 pull ups by Dec. 31, 2012
- Have a resting heart rate in the 70-80 bpm area by Dec 31, 2012
- Have blood pressure in the normal range.
- Have a healthy level of cholesterol, vitamin D, and other blood level tests, by Dec. 31, 2012
- Be in the single digits of clothing size by Dec. 31, 2012
Hey I want to be able to do pull ups right now too. That's one of my goals!
ReplyDeleteI need to find a place to be able to practice them. I have some other goals too that are not fitness related at all. One is to wear skirts twice a week. The problem with this is, one has to actually OWN skirts to be able to wear them. Much like one has to be able to have a place to practice pull-ups if one wants to be able to do them.
ReplyDelete