Day...10, I think (depends on how the days are counted)
Ok so since I started on the 9th and today is the 19th, I'm counting this as day ten. I actually am not totally sure which day I'm on but I think that's right. Anyway...
Things I am learning:
*I need to have lots of snacking options on hand. I just walked into the house after a 12 hr day at work and not much to eat and was so freaking hungry I could hardly stand it. I was going to go for the most fattening, not plant-based options available (cheese and yogurt.) I didn't but holy crap that was hard and I will not always be able to NOT do it. Time to get some options in this house. STAT.
*Cooking more and spending more time in the kitchen means a messier kitchen. Duh. But I am realizing that I am happier when I have time to clean up. Going to bed with a clean kitchen is good, and waking up to one is even better! Going to need a larger stock of dish soap.
*Along similar lines...wash the pan that was used to cook fish THE SAME DAY I COOK IT! Otherwise...ew.
*Along another similar line...I like fish. It's tasty, healthy, easy to cook and season, and the day after I eat it my skin looks fabulous! I shall continue to eat it regularly for the rest of my life.
*I do better when I don't eat as many grains, whole or otherwise. I ate more yesterday than I did since the start of this and...thyroid is swollen again today, bloated, feel icky. I think I can eat wheat, I just need to make sure I'm getting more calories from from fruits and veggies than from grains, or at least a better balance than yesterday. The hard thing is, I don't get as hungry when I eat mostly grains. I think I just need to keep going with fewer and that I will adjust to it eventually. Guess I'll see. That is the point of an experiment, right?
*I am realizing how important it is to make time to take care of myself. Cooking fresh meals is time consuming, but SOOOO important. Exercise? Time consuming but also, vital. I'm not working nearly as much as I was a few months ago and the extra time is nice (although the cut in funds is not so good.) Included in positive eating/exercising changes, I'm also getting regular amounts of sleep and it's a good thing. I never knew it took practice, taking care of ones self. I knew it took time I just didn't think it would be...fun. Didn't think...it was worth it, or maybe didn't think I was? That just sounds lame but part of me knows it's true.
Leaning process. Getting better. Trying new things. Feeling brave. Realizing stuff...
It's a good thing.
I'm very glad you discovered how you react to grains. All-in-all, our bodies aren't designed to consume large quantities of them, whole or otherwise - despite what the government food pyramid says. =)
ReplyDelete-- Bill
Um yeah, the food pyramid is a load of crap. I can handle a little, but too much and I feel like poop. So, mostly veggies, some fruit, fish and chicken, a little dairy, some grains and I'm good :)
ReplyDelete