The first few days were a breeze. Seriously. It was fun to play around with food and know that I was eating all uber-healthy.
Then...yesterday happened.
All of a sudden, MAD, CRAZY sugar cravings. You know the kind... You swear you'd snatch a lollipop or cookie form the hands of a baby if you could just get close enough to one, but the crazed expression on your face is making mothers hold their little ones close as you attempt to make a nonchalant approach. I almost made a pan of brownies with the intent of sitting down and eating the whole thing. I told myself I could do just that as long as I worked out first.
So I worked out.
Then I went to Whole Foods to see if they had ice cream made with stevia (I didn't find any) as an alternative. What I did find though was PANDA BLACK LICORICE!!!! Ingredients: molasses, wheat flour, licorice extract, aniseed oil. Is this technically a sweet? Yes, which means it goes against the rule of "no sweets." HOWEVER, I am making an exception if it means I don't sit down and eat an entire pan of brownies (which I have done in the past so don't think I'm over exaggerating. I assure you, I am not.)
I am glad I made myself work out before I ate a pan of sugar and chocolate. I am glad I found Panda black licorice.
My right hip is pretty sore from all the exercise it isn't use to so today I walked and that was it. All the other days this week it was 40 min minimum cardio and weights on Mon and Wed. I was going to use Sunday as my day off of exercise, but I think it's smart of me to rest when my body says, "WTF?! Nothing for a couple of months and now this?! I demand rest!!" Tomorrow though, I am back at it.
I have had fish twice this week (salmon and tilapia), and will get in my third serving either tomorrow or Sunday. I have tracked my nutrition intake every day and am pretty pleased with what I see. I need to up my protein a tiny bit but everything else is right where it should be. Yestereday I didn't do so well on fiber so I need to watch that as well. Turns out, fiber helps in major ways with lowering cholesterol (not to mention cutting your cancer risks too. Have I mentioned I hate cancer? Because I do.)
Physical changes? My blood pressure is already down a tiny bit and I am excited to see if that stays. I wasn't going to check it til Monday when I do weight, body fat and muscle mass measurements but I couldn't resist. I am also tracking my resting heart rate. It was 92 bpm on Monday morning before I ate anything or did any real activity. Waaaay to high. I am very much hoping that comes down.
I can already feel clothes fitting a tiny bet better (no need to stretch tshirts before pulling them on and jeans were a little easier to do up yesterday and today.) I am starting to see my collar bones, calve and arm muscles again and as odd as it may sound, when I walk my gait feels more controlled and stronger. Just walking dogs today I felt more solid and coordinated. Yay for muscles and yoga :)
The weird thing that I don't think is related but I am hoping will improve is that for the last two nights I have not been able to sleep. I think it's stress related, and am hoping that, as I keep going with regular exercise and healthy eating, the stress will be better managed.
Guess we'll see :)
(Ps: I am not claiming to be a great speller, writer, or expert in nutrition or exercise. All I know is that I needed to make changes, I am sick and tired of being overweight and out of shape, and if I keep some kind of record of what I'm doing and how it is or is not helping me in life, then I think it will help me stay motivated. And if it helps anyone else, great!)
I loved reading this. It make me laugh. You are a good writer.
ReplyDelete