Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 19

Much better mood today :) Still not super happy like I was about a week ago, but for sure better than yesterday. Made lunch and ate it with a friend. Then...sat on couch and fell asleep for about an hour. This seems to be something that happens every single Friday. It generally occurs at about 2:00. I think it would happen daily at 2:00, but on some days I am at work or the gym right about that time. Anyway, nap is over and it's time to work out. Today I will add lots of jumping jacks, push-ups, various styles of crunches, planks and weights. What the heck, why not throw in some cardio for fun?

Here are some observations I can't remember if I have stated yet, or not (and don't have time to go back and re-read):

When one cooks more, one has to clean ones kitchen more often. This is an adjustment, since my kitchen and I feel like new friends. I am still learning my way around that tiny space and am finally understanding why people like big kitchens.

When one cooks more, and one is clumsy like me, one gets burned more. Only happened once this week so there's some improvement, since it was daily for a while. This is nice because I swear when I burn myself. Loudly. And I don't think the neighbors appreciate my creative word use. I think the burns are worth it the healthy eating though.

When one works out more, there is less of a reliance on sleeping aids. I am quite pleased about this. It's been a while since I could just get into bed and fall asleep. But now, no sleepy time tea or melatonin needed. Just me, bed, and rest. The way it is meant to be.

One other thing: I looked back over my week of what I ate and I seem to have had fewer veggies this week than the previous two. I need to remember to stay focused on that. Veggies at two meals a day. Extremely important!

Here's a change I have noticed: I use to get these weird heart thumps. I would get in bed to go to sleep and out of nowhere, my heart would start pounding. Sometimes it would happen in the middle of the day for no reason. I could feel my pulse in my finger tips, or my heart would be thumping away so hard it would make my leg bounce if my legs were crossed and I could hear it and feel it in my head, especially inside my ears. Turns out these things are all cause by high blood pressure. This hasn't happened for about 5 days. I especially notice it's absence when I get into bed, or am sitting quietly just being calm. No pounding chest. Just peaceful rest. I use to sort of brace for it but...it's just gone. This, I think, may very well be the most important change so far. I know I have cracked jokes in previous entries about my heart, but the truth is, it scared me. I would work out and feel this awful painful squeezing in my chest and my heart rate would be scary high. Not a good sign.

There are some other medical changes that have happened too, but they are a little too personal to post here. Just know that the changes I am seeing are really having an impact on me in some pretty important areas. Looks improving are nice, but knowing that I am healthier already is my number one motivation. I want to be alive for a while. Ya know?

I just realized I didn't transfer my workout clothes from the washer to the dryer. Dang it! Oh well...guess this means I will have to go buy new running shoes BEFORE I work out today. WOO HOO!!!! A giant THANK YOU to my sister Emily for making that possible *insert big goofy smiley face here*

I will post pics of them once I have them :-D

4 comments:

  1. Worlds longest post, Here it comes:

    This is a little clip from one of Tosca's books. I am going to put it here since you said you can feel yourself getting lazy. Here's to keeping the motivation!

    " Here is a scenario that may be familiar to you. A women wants to lose 15 pounds. She starts a diet and sticks to it faithfully. After two weeks she feels lighter and her pants are getting loose. She finds she has lost five pounds. Yes! This makes her feel great. she goes shopping, and hardly realizing it, picks up a candy bar. She doesn't really know why she's picking it up, but tells herself it's a treat. That night at dinner she adds butter to her potatoes and gets a second helping of food. The next morning she eats an omelet loaded with cheese and fats, served along side a big plate of home fries. She can spare a few extra calories, right? She lost five pounds! But by the end of the week she has regained all her lost weight. Sure, much of this is water, but she doesn't really think about that. The number on the scale says the same thing it did two weeks ago. Discouraged that all the hard work can be erased so quickly, she gives up & settles into her old habits. This is a scenario that is played out all over North America a million times a day."

    Polly, don't be this person! I know making such a huge lifestyle change can be overwhelming. And daunting to think about kitchen clean up for the rest of your life. But soon, very soon it will become habit! It will become life. Simpy said, A body that's in motion will stay in motion!

    This clip came from Tosca's book called The Eat Clean Diet Stripped. It's basically a book that tells you to eat the way you're eating for 28 days to get rid of the last 10 pounds.

    So keep up the good work! I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that long post :)
    For me it's not that I revert that quickly to eat so crappily (home fries...I din't think I would EVER eat those, seriously.) But I do see the point. What happens to me, and is happening right now, is that I adjust to the weight I have lost and can't remember what it felt like before, then feel discouraged, thinking all the work has been for nothing. The scale says differently so that helps :) I just really need to find ways to push myself in working out. Variety is what will keep me going I think. Kitchen clean up today was an absolute nightmare (see pics posted on facebook) but it's not discouraging. I just stop forgetting how I felt and looked before. That's part of why blogging is helpful.

    There is actually something I forgot to put in this post, so I'm going to go back and edit it now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, measure your waiste and hips. You will see HUGE improvement there and it's a great way to keep motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good point! When I was doing CrossFit, I measured my waiste, hips, and each upper arm and thigh. So results REALLY quickly :)

    ReplyDelete