For many people I know, THAT is the real question. We all know exercise is good for us. We all know eating healthy is also good for us. We all know that a decent amount of sleep is good for us as well. And yet SO many people chose to do none and slack in all of the areas. For me, they seem to be three pieces of the same puzzle, with the end result being: healthier person. The last couple of months have taught me that when I exercise, the quality of sleep I get is much better. I want to exercise when I eat healthier and I feel much better and have more energy when I do all three.
So here's what I am struggling with: When I am tired, and I don't mean the "I could go for a nap" tired I mean the "I am falling asleep while standing in line at the grocery store" tired, do I workout first to make sure I get it in for the day and THEN sleep, or sleep, and hope I have time for the workout? I know I need both. I know both are important. Finding a balance, on some days, is proving to be a bit tricky.
Here's the way it typically goes: I generally sleep for 7-8 hours night. I am blessed to have the time for that right now. I use to be sleep deprived but these last two months have been good for me in that department. Occasionally I struggle to fall asleep, and sometimes I wake up a little earlier than I prefer, but overall, I do well in this area. Then, like clockwork, every day between 12:30-3:00 I get sleepy. I mean like, I ACHE I am so drowsy and I want to throw a tantrum because I can't sleep (but this would make me look absolutely ridiculous, so I don't.) I have to stand up or do something that requires cognitive functioning (notes for work, help a kid study etc etc) because if I sit, I WILL fall asleep, and it will be sudden and often without warning. I am not kidding. This is a problem because that is the EXACT time of day the kids at work are in study hall. My job for an hour during that time: sit and watch them in a silent, warm room.
Anyway...not the point.
So today I was home from work during the witching hours and I sat down...and I blinked...and when I opened my eyes two hours had passed (and I had drooled, lovely.) Why had I sat down? To put on my running shoes! I guess if I am falling asleep that quickly it is probably a sign I needed the rest. When I woke up I felt great. I walked to get my car from the mechanic, went grocery shopping (did NOT fall asleep standing in line, always a bonus), and now I am home, writing this, after which I will be going to workout. So today it worked for me to sleep first, then exercise. But generally it doesn't happen that way. Generally, I fall asleep, get up, take care of a few things, make dinner, and then all motivation is lost to exercise.
I guess there isn't one clear answer. Maybe it's best to approach this on a day by day basis. And maybe I'm a narcoleptic (ok not really but sometimes I do wonder.) And maybe I just need to stick with what works (exercise first then workout) because either way, I will still have that weird tired wash over me until I finally go to bed so I may as well exercise first, making sure I get it in.
Oh hey, one more thing totally not related to this post: I have not had a problem with head aches since I started this little experiment. Keeping in mind that they have been mostly hormone related and I am currently (as of two weeks ago) not taking any birth control ($275 to fill my prescription?! I think not) we will see how this month goes. REALLY hoping diet changes, sleep and exercise will help. The experiment continues!
I used to have terrible problems with heart burn... like it was omnipresent. When I started to eat more Paleo and cut way back on carbs and crap, it went away. Now I can tell when I'm slipping and eating poorly because it comes back.
ReplyDeleteCasey so did I. It was REALLY bad! If I eat too much sugar or white carbs, I get really bad heartburn. Sugar especially will literally have me doubled over in pain. You'd think I would have stopped eating it long ago but no..took me a few years of that to learn my lesson. I am bracing myself for headaches but am REALLY REALLY hoping I don't get any. Along with them comes nights of horrible dreams, night sweats and throwing up. If diet changes can help then I will be REALLY excited.
ReplyDelete