Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Ever Elusive Protein

I sit here at 10:30 at night, looking at my daily nutrients and realize that once again, I am short on protein. 
*sigh*
My solution tonight? Chobani Greek Yogurt, plain, non-fat, lightly sweetened with stevia. That brought me to my daily goal of 70-80 grams. On hard workout days I aim for much more (120 grams). Not being a big meat eater, this can be difficult. 
                                          
                                                        Here's what I have found that helps: 

*Greek yogurt (see above, it's high in protein and low in sugar in comparison to other yogurts out there, not full of artificial crap

*Fish, fish and more fish. It cooks quickly, is light tasting, filling and makes my skin look absolutely wonderful :)

*Protein powders, namely Amazing Meal and RAW brands. 
*Chicken on salads. It makes an average mix of dark greens, some random veggies and nuts SUPER tasty.  
*When desperate, cheese, but last time I checked I had high cholesterol so I have to limit it.
*Hummus 
*Eggs: They are tasty little buggers. I still have to be careful with them (see note with cheese) but they cook up quickly and are very versatile!

And so far, that's it. 
Suggestions? Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Eggs? ditch the yolk and just eat the whites and then don't worry about 'em. They're a WONDERFUL way to get protein in. do you like Tuna? Buying tuna in water and eating it with whole wheat crackers or on a sandwich is good protein as well. I didn't read beans on your list, they are a GREAT source of protein & go wonderful in soups & salads.

    But at eh end of each day I too am short on protein. Thus I refer to a supplement drink. You'll have to find one that you actually can handle the taste of and doesn't have too much sugar but one if not two of those a day will up your protein byabout 60 g.

    Changing subjects, how many calories are you aiming for in a day? Are you counting calories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep counting calories every day. Generally 1400 + whatever I burn during a workout. And DUH beans!!!! I was eating them like crazy for a while then just sort of...forgot. I don't really eat canned or not so fresh tuna, but I could get some and make my own tuna salad type mix. And thanks for the text about the almond butter type thing. I forgot about that too. Really appreciate the bean reminder. Can't believe I forgot about those!

    ReplyDelete