Friday, February 10, 2012

The Extension of the Adjustment to a New and More Fit Life Continues!

So kids, what did we learn this week?
A few things:

1) Fiber is important. Eat quite a bit of it. Especially once you body has adjusted to having healthy quantities on a regular basis. If, for some reason, you go a day with not very much, you WILL regret it. Trust me.

2) SLEEP! Healthy amounts of sleep=sanity. Even a few hours shortage in this category= mentally unstable, depressed, irrational, crying out of control me. Exercise? Yeah right! Not when I'm already running on empty. This also makes me want to eat crappy food. Not just sort of crappy. I'm talking sitting down with a bag of white sugar and eating it by the spoonful crappy. I shorted myself out two nights this week and basically had a total meltdown today. After walking dogs, I came home and went to bed and slept for six hours straight. Self care includes more than eating right and exercising. Today was a rough one. Sleep helped. And no, it will not keep me awake tonight. I was THAT short on rest that I was able to take a six hour "nap" today and still be tired at bedtime.

3) I can do a 5k. Ok so I can't run the whole thing yet BUT...I went out to go running/walking as part of my "you agreed to do half a marathon so you better keep training or you'll look like a moron come race day" routine and generally go for about 27 minutes (following a training program on my ipod.) But TODAY, I did TWO training sessions, and it ended with me doing just over a 5k (we won't be discussing how long that took). I swear the majority of it was uphill (although logically I know this is not possible since I went in a big circle) and I am already sore (yay!), and quite pleased with myself.
4) Even though there are many thing frustrating me in life right now, healthy food, good sleep, and exercise ALWAYS help me feel better.

And so the saga continues...

(Good night wonderful world. I am off to sleep...perchance to dream...)

2 comments:

  1. I can pretty much chalk up most of my terrible, awful, no good, really bad days to lack of sleep! I require more than the normal person does and although that frusterates me at times because I could use that valuable time to get stuff done, I have learned that it is under almost no circumstance, worth it to get less sleep than needed. Remember that trip to Utah where you were worried about me? Lack of sleep! Seriously, my thought are so unrational that it's like it's not even me. I can be very mean and I cry at the drop of a hat! But the good news is, I know all this and hit my 10:00 bed time almost every night.

    And by the way: WAY TO GO on the 5k! What a huge accomplishment! When is the half marathon? Maybe I'll plan my trip to Utah then so me and the boys can cheer you & dad on! Yup! I like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, and the lack of sleep on that day really took a BAAAAD turn for the worse. Big mistake on my part that I very much regret. I DO remember that trip to Utah quite well.
    Thanks, about the 5k. I am getting less and less sore the more I run, like joint pain, which is wonderful. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to keep it up. I am quite sure it's the shoes :) I think the half marathon Dad and I are going to do is June 2, but I'm not sure. My friend told me we could sign up to do a half, but Dad didn't see a place to sign up on the website, so I may have the wrong race in mind. I will let you know as soon as I do. It would be great to have guys here!

    ReplyDelete