After a week of being sick, and feeling weak, and frankly nervous about exercising again, I was starting to lose my motivation. I have worked out this week, but my heart wasn't in it (well, technically, it was, but metaphorically...not at all.) So, along with talking myself into working out this week, I have also been working on remembering what motivated me in the first place. Here's a few of the things that keep me going:
*Re-reading my goals. Seems so basic and obvious, but when I read them, I can feel the same excited feeling I had when I set them, and I get jazzed all over again! It reminds me where I am headed and what I want.
*Listening to others talk about their health, or lack thereof. Ok that last part sounded a little bit rude. What I mean is this: when I hear others talk about their health issues that have resulted from a lack of a healthy life-style, I am reminded of why I do not want that. Listening to healthy people talk about all the fun stuff they do...not THAT I want!!!
*Look online for ways to workout without a gym membership. Poking around and seeing what there is to do, and watching fit people do these things, keeps me wanting more, and helps me believe it's possible.
*Accepting compliments, and sometimes even giving them to myself. People are starting to notice, more and more, that I am a more compact version of myself than I was at the start of the year. Sometimes they ask me what I'm doing and it's fun to tell them. It's also fun to say, "Thank you!" when they compliment me. Why? Because I know I have worked hard and the compliment is well-earned. Overall I am pretty pleased with the way I am put together, but I have not taken good care of myself. I like to tell myself positive little messages when I do well with eating choices or working out. I also gave myself a mental high-five the other day when I was able to fit into pants I had not worn in over a year. SA-WEET!!! that was the same morning I reached my first big goals of the year. A weight loss milestone, and a nice, hefty shift in body fat and muscle mass %. All on the same day! Most excellent :)
I realize this isn't a very long list, and I that once I stabilize at a good, healthy weight, the compliments will stop, but for now, this is what is working, so I am going to keep at it!
I LOVED the quote "You're one workout away from a good mood." That is SO true!
ReplyDeleteI know right? Working out has seriously become my favorite coping skill. Want to strangle a kid at work? Go home and workout. Stressed about bills? Go for a run. Having a "I am a looser" day? Grab the jump rope and go use it. Feeling sad? Nothing some time on the eleptical, or a few squats, push-ups and ab workouts can't help with. It really is amazing how much exercise helps.
Delete