Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ok Enough Already

So here I am at Day 4 of a particularly nasty stomach virus. What I CAN eat goes against all that I believe to be good for me. My diet lately has consisted of: saltine crackers, toasted white bread, sugar free applesauce, ginger ale & other carbonated beverages, a little bit of Gatorade type drinks, lightly salted pita chips, and rice. This is what I have been able to eat without getting sick (aka throwing up) since Saturday.  And that's about it. I am sitting here, at 12:27 p.m. unable to sleep, VERY hungry, and totally out of all of the above. It's a mild snow storm outside so I am not feeling particularly inclined to make a quick jaunt to the grocery store that's open 24/7. Especially since, earlier today I almost barfed in the soda aisle at Whole Foods (I just realized how ironic that is...soda pop at Whole Foods...anyway...) I have not worked out since Thursday of last week (see previous post on why I took Friday off), and I am feeling overall yucky and cranky. I WAS asleep...then I needed the throw up again because I thought a little bit of a toast from whole wheat bread right before bed would be ok. Nope. I was wrong. 

Why am I writing about this? Because this blog is about my experience with food and exercise and this is a particularly challenging event to have occur. Saltine crackers are NOT calorie free, nor are they nutritionally dense. And protein? Fuhgetahbahtit.

Tonight in my CNA class we were practicing taking each other pulse, blood pressure and temp. My pulse was describes as "weak and faint" by the teacher. She was holding my forearm and made the other people in the class come and hold it because I was experiencing "tremors."  Yup. I feel that weak & shaky.This can be a result from lots of things but if noticed in a patient, you need to be able to recognize it and report it to the nurse. So I got to sit and have my arm held so everyone could feel it. 

I warned them. I told them all. If they are all sick as dogs in a couple of days it is NOT my fault. They all grabbed my arm anyway. 


Yup.
It's like that.
Maybe tomorrow I will be able to eat like a normal person again.

No comments:

Post a Comment