Thursday, March 29, 2012

Remembering Life a Year Ago

This week I have been crazy busy. I have not done as well as I like to with eating and exercising, but I also have not totally failed either. In the evening I have been doing clinical hours at a center for people who need help rehabilitating after an accident, surgery, injury, all of the above... It's been interesting, seeing what not wearing a seat belt, being hit by a drunk driver, not taking care of ones health and having a limb amputated due to complications from type II diabetes and so many other things, will do to a person. Those who take care of themselves recover from injuries MUCH faster, and seemed to be more social and happier. One 97 year old woman who was hit by a distracted teen driver was able to bounce back from a broken neck. A BROKEN NECK. AT 97 YEARS OF AGE!!! I asked her what her secret was. She said, "Stay active. Don't get fat. Have friends." She said a few more things with more choice words, but I won't post those here. 

It's been interesting this week to remember that, a year ago, I was working 65-80 hours a week. I was stressed out about a loved one beyond a level of stress I thought was even a possible. I was eating whatever was fast, easy and available. Lots and lots and lots of sugar. I hiked once a week. But that was it. I was totally in survival mode. I was exhausted all the time. I looked horrible. I felt horrible. It was bad. I am not saying I'm 100% better. Not at all. I still struggle and I have a long ways to go. BUT...I am listening to Louis,  the 97 year old who has bounced back from a broken neck, and all the other smart, healthy people I have met, read about, watched on movies etc etc... I am staying active. I'm getting less fat. And I am working on keeping my friends as well :) 

The week has been a very good reminder of a few things. I have come a long ways. I have a long ways to go. Things are dramatically different than they were a year ago. I am proud of myself for so many reasons. I believe I can do all I aspire to do. I have not always believed that to be true. But for whatever reason, I now do. 

Plus...I just tried on a dress at REI, a dress that, at the end of the summer last year, when I weighed EXACTLY what I do now, looked pretty horrible on me, and today, it looked darn cute. Progress. YAY! Muscle is so awesome. So is health.

That's the dress I tried on. Here's the link to the site of the company that makes it. It's a great fit, really simple and flattering.
http://www.hornytoad.com/womens/dresses-skirts/rosemarie-dress/h1172123/

No comments:

Post a Comment