Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Metatarsals, Odd Habits, New Joy!

I went running last night. 5 miles. Rarely do I have what I consider to be a "bad run," but man...this one was pretty much crap. (Don't worry, we'll to the joy part of all of this soon.) It was hot outside (I not like heat.) I chose to run in a place I usually don't go (SUPER wealthy neighborhood near by, where it's quiet and people drive slowly), and for whatever reason that seemed to throw me off as well, and I was really, really tired. I had not slept well at all the night before. The runners high I love and seek like a junkie never happened. Total bummer.

Also, my metatarsals are killing me! (What on earth are metatarsals you ask? The balls of my feet. They hurt. A lot.) This makes running difficult and painful, and in an effort to ease the ouch, I adjust the way I run, which then throws EVERYTHING else out of whack. *sigh* I hear they make insoles for this problem. I think I shall get some. STAT! (Keep reading, happy part gets here eventually.)

Something else I realized I do without even being aware of it? I curl the toes of my left foot under. Under what? Under my foot. While I run. And walk. And just sit around. I just do it for some weird reason. I had NO idea I had this odd little habit/quirk, nor do I know why I have it, but I do. I noticed it the other day when I was running and was like, "What are doing?! Stop that! It freaking HURTS!" Then I noticed I was doing it at work while sitting and waiting for lunch. Woke up the other night to go to the bathroom, crawled back into bed and...yup, curled toes under. Turns out, this is a bad thing to do when one is running. I MUST end this, or I seriously think I will do some bad damage to my cute little toes. (Yes I DO think my toes are cute. In fact, I pretty much love feet in general.) This for sure explains the really weird pain I have been feeling in the toes of my left foot, and only the left. (People, and I include myself in this observation, are kind of weird and quirky.) Guess being more fit and active forces us to learn things about outselves we otherwise NEVER would have noticed.

Ok now for the HAPPY:

So what's this new joy I speak of? It's the day after a good work out, initial walk past the mirror first thing in the morning, moment. Maybe this just happens to me but...I swear I am skinnier in the morning. Leaner looking or something. ESPECIALLY if I have exercised the night before. So, first thing in the morning, as I stumble to the bathroom, hair all messy and mouth in dire need of tooth brush attention, I am often pleasantly surprised to the point of stopping to do a double take, by the image I see reflected back to me. Cellulite, going away. Muscle tone, becoming more prominent. Tummy muscles, visible in some areas. Legs, strong... You get the idea. Room for improvement? Yes, but overall...happiness with how things are shaping up. This moment beings me much joy, and is part of what keeps me going. It's a lovely way to start the day!

Another little moment of joy? When I feel that my saddle bags are more the "day-pack" size vs the "two week trek in the Himalaya's" they use to be. I seriously was so shocked by their reduction I had to go check in the mirror to make sure I had not "lost" part of my upper thigh/butt area on the hiking trail or while running. (Now that I think about it, that's probably EXACTLY where I left them.) It was like overnight, *POOF* *CHANGE*!! The exercise fairy godmother waved her magic muscle wand over my butt and put it back where it was about 10 years ago and at the same time performed some magical disappearing act on my thighs! Have I worked hard for this change? Absolutely. Was I still surprised by it? Yep. Still...it's pretty awesome and fills me with MUCH joy to see some huge pay offs for my hard work.
 (Personally I think the Workout Fairy would be a little bit more fit, but that's just me.)

So why exercise? Because it brings you joy in unexpected moments. (True that it is also causing some pain right now, but really, the pay off is SOOOO totally worth it! Promise. It is.)

SEE?! Dang it! Just caught myself curling my toes under! So weird...


2 comments:

  1. About the balls of your feet. I want to recommend something. Buy a foam roller and roll out your calves. Each calf for 2-3 minutes/day and I'll bet you notice your feet feeling MUCH better! I can tell instantly when my calves are tight because the balls of my feet hurt, badly! A personal trainer pointed it out to me years ago, that my calfs were tight. He could tell by the way I bent down to get something. He wasn't my personal trainer and I had never talked to him before but he came and said "Do the balls of your feet hurt?" I was kind of surprised and told him yes and she showed me about rolling out my calves. SO THANKFUL to him! And I would bet, now that you're running and exercising your calves have gotten tight on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?! Ok I am getting a foam roller thingy. My calves are tight. I stretch but it mever feels like enough, and they are sore almost all the time. Maybe that's why. Guess I will find out. Certainly can't hurt. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete