I need a kick in the pants, nutritionally speaking that is. One can work out all one wants, but without proper nutrition, one (and by one, in this case, I mean me) will not see the results one wants, rather desperately, to see.
See, there's something that happens when one eats well. I know I have mentioned this before, but I think it warrants saying again. So many other things fall into place when healthy eating and living are a focus. Time management? Yup. You can't eat well without planning ahead. Sleep better? Naturally. Have more energy? Duh. See faster results with exercise? That too.
So, do I go back to my initial experiment of 30 days of nothing but whole, fresh foods, the majority of calories from plant based foods, or do I try something different?
My mom and sister are doing an eating plan called "The Whole 30." From what I can tell, it's a paleo-based way of eating. What does this mean? No grain. No dairy. No legumes. No sugar or sugar substitutes. Nothing processed, pre-packaged etc etc. One thing I would need to alter a little is, no table salt. I HAVE to have iodine. So what CAN you eat? Meat. Veggies. Fruit. Nuts (but not peanuts, they are technically a legume). Seeds. Eggs....yeah that about sums it up. Apparently doing this for 30 days can render some impressive results. One area it's supposed to help is with inflammation. I could use that right now.
This is really similar to what I did before, except I allowed myself grains at breakfast, some legumes, protein mixes from plant sources, no sugar but I did eat stevia and a little honey, and minimal amounts of dairy (milk at breakfast, a little bit of cheese, and yogurt, no ice cream.) I ate (and still do for the most part), foods whose ingredients my grandparents would recognize. I saw some great results! And I saw them really quickly. I occasionally eat sugar now, but am realizing that pretty much ANY refined sugar is too much. I eat more grains than I did during my 30 days of experiment. I can honestly say I am not eating as many veggies as I need to be. And I am starting to see that it is making it harder for me to lose weight, my allergies are getting worse (is it seasonal, or diet related?), and I don't have as much energy. My skin still looks good but not as good as it did, and I am not managing my time or money nearly as well. Slackin'.
Clearly, I would benefit greatly from going back to that way of eating.
My ponderings lately include: Would I see MORE benefits from the Whole 30 than from what I ate? Do I have it in me to do the Whole 30? Can I afford it? Will it be THAT different from what I already did and would I see better results? I don't know. Would I like to see fast results in a reduction of belly fat (a change that fans of this ways of eating claim to see quickly)? Uh, yeah. Most women I know would. And the other benefits I hear about would lovely as well.
Frankly, I just don't know if I can afford it, and I don't know if I can give up yogurt, cheese, breakfast grains, and stevia. But just for 30 days? Maybe...
(On that note, I have a second interview tomorrow for a higher paying job. How much higher? Don't know yet, but if it's high enough...The Whole 30 would be a much more reasonable option.)
Anyway, I am thinking about doing it. It's NOT a "no carb" way of eating. Fruits and many veggies have carbs. It's just a minimalist way of eating.
All I know is, I need to change what I'm doing. Things are stagnant and I do not like that. It's unacceptable.
(this is rambling so...I'm just going to end now and go think off-line...)
it is so hard, isn't it. i do not think that there is one perfect way to lose weight. i think like you have been doing - it just takes time, persistance and dedication. i think that when you avoid all the things that you truely like, then you will over indulge in those things at some point. i am at that "stagnant" point too, and somedays I just don't have the energy to want to even excercise! there is something on MSN today about getting fit by walking and throwing in some other things along the way!
ReplyDeletehttp://fitbie.msn.com/get-fit/bye-bye-belly-fat
check it out! :) hang in there! you will do just fine in whatever you choose (i personally think that avoiding dairy is not a good choice espeically for women - so many benefits to dairy). and after 30 days, would you go back to a normal diet and back to where you were 30 days before? just a thought!
Jodi thanks for the link! The reason that people do it for 30 days is to sort of "reset" their systems. Changing what I did for 30 days (which was done as an experiment to see what would happen if I tried it) had a pretty major impact on how I eat and I'm glad I did it. So I guess part of what I'm wondering is, if I did the Whole 30, would it have yet another positive impact? Maybe. After cutting sugar (with a couple slip ups) for 30 days, it really helped get my cravings and binges (and no, that's not an over-exaggeration) under control. A binge now is tootsie pop or two pieces of pie, where as before it was...well...embarrassing. So I am still thinking about it. And proponents of the Whole 30 state that you really need to take a calcium supplement. I'm still toying with the idea... Trust me, whatever I decide to do will be posted here :)
Delete