Monday, April 30, 2012

WEIGHT LIFTING! BOO-YAH!!!

Two weeks ago my hips were hurting VERY badly from all the running. My feet were cramping, knees complaining... It was not good at all. I could feel that I was on the verge of injury that may have hung me out to dry and forced me to give up on the upcoming race (aka bucket list event.) I read all I could about what to do to STOP an injury in it's track, what to do to make sure I am preventing injuries etc etc... Here's what I have learned: 

Tip #1: Lift weights. Especially focus on the core, lower back, butt and hamstrings. 
Tip #2: Stretch.
Tip #3: Run less.
Tip #4: Rice. Ice. Compress. Elevate.
Tip #5: Take anti-inflammatories

So...I have added weight lifting, cut running back to three days a week, resumed stretching, and have made my ice pack and ace bandages my new best friends. I have been taking motrin as needed. And wouldn't ya know it...the experts were right! Less sore, better results, easier runs, not as totally exhausted or starving all the time. 

I also started doing upper body weight training. My arms are looking pretty good already, if I do say so  myself. My back is pulling in tighter as well. I am pretty pleased with this. I want to be strong. I want my arms to be impressive, and I am not afraid to admit it. Someday, bulging biceps and impressive triceps WILL be mine! And that weird, old lady, turkey waddle back-of-the-arm thing WILL be gone if it kills me. Oh...and...I WILL have a back with those cool muscles between the shoulder blades and...all over. 

OAN: I have not weighed myself in a little while. I became far to obsessed with the numbers. It has been liberating, but also slightly nerve racking. I will start using the one to check body fat and muscle mass percentage again once I feel like I have fully refocused on what healthy living vs just losing weight. In the mean time, I am really pushing myself to eat as healthy as I ever have, and to focus on strength again. I even opened a jar today, and I didn't even need to run it under hot water or bang it with a knife to make it happen. GO ME!!!!
 :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment