Among the things I want to try over this coming year, new foods is on the list.Today's experiment:
FENNEL
FENNEL
(see image below.)
Not the seeds (which are often placed near the cash registers at Indian restaurants), but the bulb. White, similar to celery in texture, only not as "woody", but FAR more flavorful. Slightly minty and slightly like licorice, it is truly a tasty addition to may recipes. Tonight, it went into stir fry, then after, I ate about a quarter cup fresh. SUPER yummy.
So why fennel?
Like I mentioned, it is full of flavor. Very light, but...filling as well. Plus, it also has many, many healthy benefits. Touted as a natural anti-inflammatory, it is reported to be good for heart health, high in vitamin C, potassium and many trace minerals that are not common in other foods. It is also high in fiber. Some say it has strong anti-cancer properties as well. It is often used to help stomach issues (think of it as a plant based pepto :-). Mothers who have trouble nursing are told it helps being in milk, and since it can help with stomach problems, can also help with colic in babies of mother who eat it. Here are some links if you care to do some reading on the topic. The LIVESTRONG site has many links to research on the plant. The other is just kind of interesting.
Sound too good to be true?
Maybe.
Ya never know.
Here's what I noticed tonight:
* Upset stomach I was experiencing (ok and some gas too), were helped significantly
* Breath is fresh and mouth tastes sweet and clean, in a really natural, healthy way.
* Perhaps it's the potassium, but the pending muscle cramps I have had all day seem to be abating, always a bonus
* Joint pain is noticeably lessened.
I didn't know that fennel has all these supposed health properties when I bought it and ate it. I saw it online in a recipe and could remember what it tasted like, and for some reason it sounded incredibly good. About a half hour after I ate it, I noticed stomach issues were settling down so I became curious. And lo! So many pleasant surprises.
My point in sharing this info? To encourage other to try new things too. It goes great in stir-fry, fresh salads (going to mix it in with a spinach and orange salad, think it will be SUPER yummy), and who knows what else. There are many, many recipes online that inclued it, cooked or fresh. So join me! Expand what you eat and the flavors you use! Fun times!

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk so...I just went back and re-read this post. Very poorly written. Oh well. Hope the point was made, and hope, if you read this,that you'll try fennel :) It really is rather tasty.
ReplyDelete