Yesterday I did it. I completed my first half marathon. I had to walk parts of it, but still, I finished. (I would like to note that the reason I had to walk was because of my foot killing me, not due to a lack of physical fitness.) My Dad and I did it together and it was, for lack of a better description, awesome!
It started with an early morning wake up call, at 3:30, a quick breakfast of toast (too nervous to eat much else) and a drive to the mall, which was packed with well over 3,000 runners. We all loaded up on buses that took us up the canyon to the starting point. It was chilly and breezy and people huddled around fire pits to stay warm. Everywhere you looked, there were smiling, healthy, fit people. We stretched, blew noses, and then were herded to the starting line by the volunteers.
The first part was pretty easy and we were able to run and keep up good conversation. We saw one runner down, she hurt something and couldn't put any weight on her leg at all. Kinda spooked me, but hardly a reason to stop. Up the only incline of the race, we kept going, walking when needed. Paused briefly to get a photo in front of Bridal Veil Falls, then back to running/walking.
There were other groups that were doing the same thing as us, run some, walk a little, and we'd pass them, then they'd pass us.
Bathroom stop, and the first full marathoners zoomed past, like gazelles. They made it look so easy and effortless. They were clearly VERY fit.
Back to running.
The first female marathoner clipped past. She was also fit, but not thin or wimpy looking like some that were going to come along later in the race. Nope, she was solid, muscly, strong and impressive.
As we neared the finish line, I knew I wanted to cross it running, and I had a time in mind I wanted to beat (and a specific runner.) So for the last two miles I decided to run, sore foot be damned. I went as fast as I dared, at a pace I felt like I could maintain, and I beat the time I wanted to, and the runner, finished, and...got my finishers metal!!!
After, I kind of had that, "Oh crap I am going to pass out" feeling. Found a chair and sat, with my head down, til I could feel my teeth, feet and hands again, and my vision returned to normal.. Then, a massage on my lower legs and feet.
Boarded the bus with other tired, stinky runners, back to my parents for pickle juice, blueberries and tapioca pudding. Then home...where I slept for four hours. (Stopped at a fast food drive through to get a lemonade because I was EXTREMELY thirsty and fell asleep waiting for the guy in front of me to place his order. Yep. I was a sleepy girl.)
All in all it was a wonderful day. I have been inspired in a huge way to do more, exercise more, run more, have fun more, try new things...
Mostly though, it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning with my Dad :)

Wonderful!
ReplyDelete