*No the fastest? That's ok. Neither am I. And it's not the point.
*Have almost ZERO flexibility? Same here. This area seems to elude me no matter how much a stretch, but the point is, to just keep at it.
*Break a sweat and lose your breath after two seconds? That's ok. It's better than not breaking a sweat at all and using the whole "I have asthma" thing as an excuse. (Btw, I really do have asthma. So does Jackie Joyner Kersee. You know...the gold metal winning decathlon Olympic athlete.)
That's Jackie. She rocks. And that's what some people with asthma chose to do.
*Feel like fat ol' loser because everything shakes with every step? I can so totally relate. But, just think about how much better you're doing than you would be if you'd stayed home and dinked around on facebook or watched tv.*Don't have the motivation? Dig deep. Find some. Even if it's to walk around your block. Just DO something. Walk the dog or borrow the neighbors. Get some friends together and make a social thing out of it.
*Don't think you can? Well, you're wrong. You so totally can. (I know I posted this before, but it applies SO well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448) I love it when he says, "Just because I can't do it today, doesn't mean I can't do it someday."
*Think you're not worth it? Wrong again. You deserve to be healthy and happy. Seriously, You do.
*Think it's too late and the damage has been done so why try? This is actually not true. Every time you chose a healthier option than what you chose in the past, you undo damage on a cellular level.
*Convinced you're too old? Pfft...please. The older you are the bigger the reason to move more, ESPECIALLY to lift weights!!!
No matter how little you are doing, just keep on going. Every time you go out, set a goal to go a little bigger. Increase bit by bit.
At the start of the year I couldn't run for more than 20 seconds at a time, then I had to either stop and catch my breath or walk. I wanted to give up. I wanted to stop and never start again and again. Sometimes I would sing that annoying song from "Finding Nemo," the one Dory sang when Nemo's dad was getting down and depressed: "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."
In case you don't know what I'm talking about:
So come on people! Get moving! And once you start, just keep swimming (or walking, or running, or cycling or whatever!!!)



I don't have asthma so I can't relate to that excuse. I also never call anyone out on it if they use it cause I can't relate. But I often feel like it is just that, an excuse. So I am so glad to hear you call people out on it. I hate excuses! Really really hate excuses!
ReplyDeleteSo. Do. I. I get that sometimes life is jsut really, really crazy busy and you honestly are not able to make the time happen. At least not on a daily basis. I just wish people would spend more time making excuses as to why they NEED to exercise and eat well, vs all the reasons why they can't/won't.
ReplyDelete