Why do people have dogs?
There is scientific proof that dogs are the only animals that read human emotion the exact same way humans do, and one study that says it registers in their brains faster than it registers in the human brain. So, maybe it's because they "get" how we're feeling.
Why do I like living with dogs?
It's nice not to be alone. It's nice to feel safe, like if someone tries to sneak in the dog will know way before I do, and will let me know. They can be funny. They are nice to talk to because they listen and never talk back, and often act as if what you are saying if absolutely fascinating. They help keep the floor free of food particles. They encourage me to exercise. They also encourage contact with other humans, if I want. Dog parks are full of quirky people who like to sit and talk about dogs as much as I do.
There are draw backs though...
It's nice to come home, kick off my shoes, and fall into bed without having to think about if the dog needs to eat or go for a little walk so poop happens outside and not inside my apartment. This is especially nice when the weather is less than perfect.
It's nice to drop something on the floor and know that the five second rule applies and whatever I dropped won't be covered with fur when I pop it into my mouth. It doesn't matter how much one cleans. Dog hair is tricky and evasive of even the best cleaning devices. Got a dog with short fur? Sure...that's an option.
It's nice not to have to pay pet rent. Would not be a problem if I owned a home, alas...tis not my current situation in life.
It's nice to be able to have more free time. I don't HAVE to go hiking unless I want to, AND I can go where ever I want. Nothing is off limits due to water shed issues.
It's nice to leave food on the counter and know it will be there if I have to leave the room. It's nice to leave food on any surface with confidence really.
And should I ever actually go on a vacation again, I don't have to wonder who will take care of my dog while I am gone, and I won't miss my dog while I'm gone either. Bitter sweet.
On the other hand....
I miss falling asleep to the sound of a lightly snoring furry beast. It's comforting in an odd way, and use to make me feel so safe. Even though she's been gone two years, the sound of a deeply sleeping big dog still has that Pavlovian effect of making me drowsy. I miss a lot of things about having a dog (one in particular.)
I miss a lot about having a dog.
If you've ever wanted one, and you're in a place in life where it would work for you to have one, get one. Do some research first.
How to do it right?
Make sure you get a breed (mixed or not), that fits you and/or your family. Go through a local rescue. A dog in a foster home will have a temporary family that can tell you about their energy level, weird quirks, strong points and where they need work.
Puppies are like a toddler with out a diaper and with extra sharp teeth that like shoes, sofa legs, pant cuffs, and kids toys. They are NOT for everyone and require a GREAT deal of time.
Most dogs will require at least one training class, so plan on that (usually one night a week for eight weeks, and practice time at home.)
Like people, the higher quality food a dog eats, the healthier and happier he or she will be, and the longer they will live. It's worth the extra money. Trust me. It will pay in spades with fewer vet visits, less stinky poo, less allergies for your dog etc etc....
Having a dog can take you're life and magnify all the good things about it. Under the right circumstances, a relationship with a dog is one of the few times in life you will be loved no matter what. No irritation from the dog, just pure love and appreciation.
Don't get me wrong, it takes work and effort, but it can so very worth it.
Someday...I'll have a dog again.
For sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment